Grass Talk Radio Bluegrass Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Everybody!

+5
Mark Gunter
fftrumpy
dreadnoughtdigger
jacksonlaird
Admin
9 posters
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.bradleylaird.com

Hi Everybody! Empty Hi Everybody!

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:31 pm
Hello and welcome to the forum. I am happy to hear podcast suggestions, topic and guest ideas and anything else you have to say about bluegrass music. If you happened to drop by this forum but are not familiar with the Grass Talk Radio podcast, you can hear every episode and read all about it here.

http://www.grasstalkradio.com

Go listen a while and then come back and join us!

Here are a couple of hints:

1. Anyone on the internet can view this forum, but to post new topics and reply you need to create an account. See the FAQ for all of the basic instructions.

2. There is a mobile version and a web version. Choose the one that works best for you. You can easily switch back and forth.

3. Keep it clean and decent. No spam. Or you'll get kicked out. Not that any GTR listener would ever do that. Just stating the obvious here.

4. At the moment there are just a few main areas: Welcome, The GTR Pub, Instrument Talk and Podcast Suggestions. As time goes by I may add a few more.

Brad

Last edited by Admin on Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:00 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Added some thoughts)

Frank E Griffen likes this post

jacksonlaird
jacksonlaird
https://www.jacksonlairdmusic.com

Hi Everybody! Empty Hi!

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:38 pm
Hello!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Hi Everybody! Empty Re: Hi Everybody!

Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:19 pm
Hi Jaybird!

Thanks for helping me set this up and test it.

dreadnoughtdigger
dreadnoughtdigger

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:37 pm
Just figured I’d introduce myself. I’m Joe.  I just found the podcast about a week ago, and I’ve listened to maybe a dozen episodes.
I enjoy the stories about going to bluegrass jams and meeting other musicians.
I’m just trying to get started in bluegrass myself. I’ve been playing guitar for many years, never professionally.  I play in church and jam with friends.  I really like bluegrass, but there’s not much opportunity to play up here in Maine.  I’ve started jamming along with backing tracks and YouTube videos, and struggling to keep up. It’s a lot faster tempo than gospel and folk tunes, which is what I’m used to playing.
So I guess I just need to work on my chops a lot so I can handle being able to fly through a guitar break at whatever insane BPM those songs are played in.
Thanks for the podcast, and I’ll talk to you again.

Admin, Mark Gunter, Frank E Griffen and Bennybear like this post

fftrumpy

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:28 pm
Thank you Brad and Jackson for creating another option for pickers and listeners to connect. Look forward to joining the community. I've been at this a year now and have binge listened to all your episodes keep them coming.

BTW, My "Do Me a Favor" letter has not been read on your podcast yet. I know you are feverishly reorganizing the piles and because i enjoy hearing those letters I offer this as my contribution to help you get those letters sorted into the correct piles. Smile

Drew T
Sinking Spring Pa

Admin, Mark Gunter and Frank E Griffen like this post

jacksonlaird
jacksonlaird
https://www.jacksonlairdmusic.com

Hi Everybody! Empty Welcome Aboard!

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:03 am
Welcome aboard! Smile

Mark Gunter, dreadnoughtdigger, fftrumpy and Frank E Griffen like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:17 am
Hi Joe and Drew!

Joe, everybody feels like it is warp speed at first. Hang in there.

Drew, That may help me sort out the pile!

Thanks for jumping in board, yall! Feel free to start new threads as you desire.

dreadnoughtdigger, fftrumpy and Frank E Griffen like this post

Mark Gunter

Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:27 pm
Hello Brad. I think this is a great idea, and I will plan to check in from time to time. Thank you for providing the many lessons!

To Drew &  DreadnaughtDigger: I’m a lifelong guitar player (since about 1967) and began playing mandolin around five years ago. I’ve played many musical styles in my lifetime, but only became a fan of Bluegrass a few years ago. I can’t play Bluegrass very well yet, but I try to work on it and try to hold my own in jams. About 99% of my playing and practice time these days is on mandolin, and I rarely play guitar except for gigs (which have been non-existent since Covid).

Most of what I’ve learned about Bluegrass (besides listening to it a lot) has come from Brad’s lessons.

I enjoy Grass Talk Radio ... have listened to every episode.

To Jackson, thanks for helping your dad with this.

Happy mandolinning (&tc. &tc.),

Mark

Admin and Frank E Griffen like this post

Frank E Griffen

Hi Everybody! Empty Hello Everyone

Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:55 pm
This is Frank, a listener, patreon and fan of the show.

Admin and Mark Gunter like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:50 am
Welcome Frank and thank you for your support and encouragement. It is quiet in here at the moment but kinda nice in a way.

Bennybear
Bennybear

Hi Everybody! Empty Hey y'all

Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:41 am
Hello everybody. My name is Ben Stokes. I started life as a guitar player in 1995. I picked up mandolin about 11 years ago. I love all kinds of music. I'm not great on mandolin, more of an old timey type player than a flashy bluegrasser. I spend about half my time flatpicking guitar and half picking mando. My favorite part of bluegrass isn't the amazing instrumental virtuosity (though great), but the tight and beautiful vocal harmony. I absolutely love the Grasstalk Radio episodes that Brad did singing and harmony (Grasstalk in general is great!) I wish he would demonstrate how to actually practice finding harmony parts on your instrument and then singing them and how to practice. I prefer A Style F-hole mandolins for their sound, price, and playing comfort. I never have found an F-Model that I liked to play, though they look beautiful and sound awesome when others play them.  I have two great sounding and playing workin man mandolins: Kentucky KM-500 and an an Eastman MD-305, both with Tone-Gards (love those things) My favorite mandolin players are: Norman Blake, Jody Stecher, David Surette, John McGann, and Adam Steffey. Sorry if I jump around on topics. I have ADHD. Very Happy I currently reside in Jonesboro, Arkansas, but I consider myself from the suburbs of Atlanta, GA- Douglasville, Marietta, Powder Springs areas. Great to meet you folks.

Last edited by Bennybear on Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin and Frank E Griffen like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:14 am
Benny

Curious how long you have been playing bluegrass. You mentioned some places (Marietta, etc.) that I certainly include in my stomping grounds. Wonder if we ever crossed paths... Say at The Marietta Festival, The Peach blossom, etc.

Bennybear likes this post

Bennybear
Bennybear

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:18 am
Hey man, I'm sure we never crossed paths, as I never played out. I only every jam at friend's houses and church. I became aware of you via Bert Casey's website when was working through his Mandolin Primer book and needed something more advanced after that. I do go back to visit family a few times a year, and will probably be moving back in the next year or two. Hopefully we can cross paths. I'd love to hear you pick live.

Admin likes this post

Kevin O'Lear
Kevin O'Lear

Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:26 am
Hello all,
Glad to see this forum & as always love Brad's podcast.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:20 am
Thanks, Kevin!

Kevin O'Lear likes this post

mtndan
mtndan

Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:16 pm
Hi Brad (and Jackson),

I've been enjoying your podcast and instructional materials. I'm a long time beg/int mando and guitar hobbyist. Looking forward to conversations here and better days ahead!

Kevin O'Lear likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum